Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cardiac Intensive Care Unit

Only two times in my life have I ever felt the same "I want my Mommy" feeling you get when you are a kid. The first was back in 2006 after I had miscarried with our first child & the second was right now! Without me even saying it, my sweet Husband could hear my cries, so he called my Mom & asked her to come to Boston. My Mom booked the first flight that came out of Utah that got in late Thursday the 22nd.

I was so excited to see her when she got here, however I was terrified to take her up to see my sweet baby that she hadn't seen since the day he was born. He has been through SO much that I almost had this motherly protective instinct that wanted to shelter him from anyone seeing him the way he was. I knew it was going to be another extremely emotional time....and it was! My Mom & I sat by Ryker's side talking about how while Ryker's body was healing itself, he could possibly be running around with his cousin D.J. (my sweet little 2 year old nephew that passed away tragically last June) I truly believe that God wouldn't make a sweet innocent baby stay in their body while it is paralyzed & going through so much trauma.

Early Friday morning at about 6am we woke up to Jason's phone ringing. I panicked! I knew it was the CICU calling. Ryker's nurse started by saying- "Ryker is okay, but we do have a few concerns, so we are going to send him to the Cath Lab to see what is going on. Can you come here quickly so we can explain everything?" Jason & I rushed to his room & they informed us that his lactate levels kept going up, he was not having the urine output that he should be having & that he was starting to get a light grey tint to his skin & they didn't have an answer as to why this all was happening, so they needed to do an "Ablation Surgery" in the Cath Lab to see what was wrong.

We got all the same release forms signed from the anesthesiologists & the surgical staff. Then had to let them take him hoping once again everything was going to be okay & praying for the best. Within about 2 hours my Mom & I were able to go back to his room. Dr. Del Nido came in to inform us that Ryker's PDA Vessel (a vessel that is only open during pregnancy & is supposed to close after birth) has re-opened & is causing to much blood flow to his lungs. The only way to close this vessel was to go back in through Ryker's chest (luckily still open) & close off the vessel to prevent anymore damage.

I was a wreck hearing this news! My poor baby had been in the O.R. only two days before for MAJOR open heart surgery, then to the Cath Lab this morning for an Ablation Surgery & now back to the O.R for another heart surgery!?! At only 2 weeks & 2 days old. How much can one little soul take?

Once again I had to sign all the same forms from the anesthesiologists & surgical staff & send my baby away to the Operating Room, praying to God to please spare his life once again! I spoke to my baby boy for a moment, kissed his sweet head & then buried myself in my Mom's arms sobbing as they took him away once again.

The operation took about 21/2 hours but my Mom made sure that the Doctors took down her cell phone number so that Jason & I could lay down & try to get some rest while we waited. When I woke up my Mom told me the Doctor had called & said the surgery went perfectly & that Ryker was already regaining the color in his face & looking a lot better! I was so relieved to hear this news!

We headed back to his room. It was so good to see him, he had the color back in his face! Dr. Del Nido said of all the things he thought may have been wrong that the PDA vessel being open was the easiest fix. I was so grateful to hear that! Now the plan was to get him on the right track back to recovery & pray for no more setbacks!

That night I stayed in Ryker's room until 2am & was back up there around 6am. I just had that fear of waking up to the phone ringing again so I would rather be here with him at all times to make sure I didn't miss a thing!

From then on I never wanted to leave that room. My Mom & Jason literally set curfews for me so all the nurses knew when they had to send me to bed. I frequently have & still do fall asleep with my head & arm resting on the side of his tiny bed. He is my little HERO & I love him more than words can describe!!!

This is a picture my Mom took without me knowing....Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love this picture :'(